With Halloween upon us, my thoughts and tastes in reading and watching have shifted to the spooky side. Though not a Halloween play by any stretch, I do often think of Shakespeare’s Macbeth this time of year. It’s probably some combination of the Macbeths murderous plot, visits from other worldly beings, and, of course, the three witches.
The three witches predict his tragic rise to power. While this plays the crucial role in instigating the Macbeths dark descent, the line that always sticks out for me comes much later in Act 4:
By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes.
While I never studied the Bard particularly, I did read Macbeth a few years ago and this quote stuck out to me. It’s possible (even probable) it does because the second line was used heavily in a marketing campaign for one of the Harry Potter movies. I don’t remember everything about high school, but I do remember the deep anticipation of all those movies, so there you go.
Wanting to add some literary flare to my fall decor, I made this welcome sign using a wooden board I found at Michaels and a stencil I created with the line.
Supplies you will need include:
- A wooden board
- Precision cutter
- Painters tape
- Paint brushes (large and detail)
To make your own:
- Select a wooden board to your own taste.
- Download and print this pattern. I suggest printing on cardstock for enhanced durability
- Cut out the black print using a scrapbooking knife or a die cutting device.
- Measure and tape the stencil into position. Select a paint color of your choice and go to work.
The final result may be a little imperfect and untidy, but that kind of adds to the mysterious appeal this time of year.